Anti - Clubbing in US

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Karlosio

Thousands of people have gathered in Washington D.C. at a rally to protest against proposed anti-clubbing legislation.

The day-long event was organised by local group ROAR (Ravers Organized Against the Rave Act) and the National Dance & Music Rights Alliance and featured performances form DJs such as D:Fuse and Jr. Vasquez, alongside guest speakers.

The highly controversial 'RAVE' (Reducing Americans Vulnerability to Ecstasy) Act was passed through the US political system earlier this year attached to an unrelated child abduction bill, despite the fact that there had been no debate or public hearing in Congress on the subject.

Now, the proposed ‘Clean-up’ Act and ‘Ecstacy Awareness’ Act will threaten the very existence of dance music in the US. If passed, promoters and property owners may be liable for their patrons’ drug use, even if they try everything they can to stop it. If found guilty, violators may face up to 20 years in jail or a criminal fine of up to $500,000.

The Drug Policy Alliance, one of many groups opposed to such anti-rave legislation, spoke of how such policies affect every property owner in America, not just dance music promoters: “Because of its broad language, the proposed law could potentially subject people to twenty years in federal prison if guests smoked marijuana at their party or barbecue” a spokesman for DPA said. “The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) actually perceives dance music events as nothing more than the sale, distribution and use of drugs”, they commented.

The ‘RAVE’ Act amends the Crack House Law, which had been used in the past to prosecute promoters based on such evidence as glowsticks, massage oil, and bottled water as proof of drug use.

More worrying however, is the fact that, dance music events, clubs, parties and anything that may potentially attract young people - will struggle to exist in the US if such laws are passed. All DJmag can say is – if the DEA can’t keep drugs out of their high-security prisons, how do they expect to stop young people from experimenting with drugs by stopping them dancing?

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
erm that is well out of order !

How can a club owner be held respinsible for somthing that the clubbers did ?

So when the police get caught doing sumat shady like takin back handers do them and there superiours get the sack for it or just the copper himself :S

its pathetic !

Doubt they would manage to get that over here but its america were talkin about lol

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
nagh i cant see that happening over in this country mate.

wouldnt bother me if it did really the new stuff that comes out is crap as far as im concearned and i dont turn out no more and dont take drugs no more :D lol