Deckz, Computer & Soundcard

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

stethomas

Sep 1, 2003
manchester
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers in this area.

In order to wire turntables through a computer, what is required and what are the benefits? Is there any particular program I need to download so that I can use music from my laptop through my mixer, also do I need an expensive soundcard and if so what do you recommed.

Apologies to sound like a novice here but I could really do with some info.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Mattylad

Jan 29, 2007
Barnsley
Nowt flash needed here fella, just need a phono to jack to connect ya mixer to the comp, then go from your comp output to your amp, couple of leads and you're away;)

Your on board soundcard should be enough aswell unless it's an old computer, check ya specs but i think most come with 5.1 as standard these days(might be wrong on that one though lol)

As for using your laptop............wait for someone else to reply to this thread coz i wouldn't have a clue:confused:

:thumbsup:

bexleydurden

Jun 8, 2008
'Sconge, West Lancs
If you're looking for a cheap external USB soundcard to run on a laptop or PC then I'd highly recommend the Creative USB Sound Blaster Connect Sound Card which costs a mere £23. If you want something a bit more funkier then go for a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB 2.0 Sound Card which has a remote control and comes in around the £55.

I've been using the £23 version for a while, and with the software provided you can rip audio from any source including youtube or streaming radio, as well as your vinyl etc.

stethomas

Sep 1, 2003
manchester
Laptop

Thanks guys,

I've checked and the souncard should be good enough although I might give the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB 2.0 a whirl :)

Is there any particular program I need to download so that I can use music from my laptop with my decks? Any other info on this would be great?

bexleydurden

Jun 8, 2008
'Sconge, West Lancs
When you say, 'Is there any particular program I need to download so that I can use music from my laptop with my decks?'

What do you mean exactly?

There is software like Trakor which in conjuction with a controller interface like the Denon DN-HS5500 or Vestax VCi-100 which allow you to mix you mp3's, WAV's etc, but if you're planning on this route then you will need to re-think the soundcard for something like the NI Audio Kontrol and you will also need a minimum 4 channel mixer.