Help!!!! B4 I smash the.....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Karlosio

Hi guys. ne1 good in pc tech coz i need some advice...

I was working away on the pc and my mouse and keyboard just stopped responding. the cursor just stuck and i couldn't press a damn thing on the keyboard, so i pressed the reset button on the box and when i did that, it powered up but did not turn the monitor on. So, i left it for a while, went back to it, turned it back on, woo...it works.. well, so i thought, after five minutes it was doing it again. so i left it again.

after a while again i then decided to format the hard drive!!! so i did that and when it completed (after losing all my bloody stuff!!) i tried typing exit or something like that and the keys were coming up as numbers eg. the letter e was number 3 or something. so i sat there scratching my head till there was no fuckin hair left. I press reset button again, and once again, it would not boot up.

After i left it AGAIN, i tried putting XP Pro back on it. But it got as far as after you set the enviromental settings and at about 13 minutes left the mouse stops responding (& keyboard) and its buggered again.

Can any 1 tell me whats going on with it coz its putting my blood up, otherwise I'll get me dads hammer out of the shed and smash the bugger up!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Phil

Jun 21, 2002
Leeds, UK
Sounds pretty serious mate... at a quick guess I would blame your mobo (one of the main parts inside your PC). Strange things start to happen when they're on the way out.... either that or the memory. Have you tried to 'overclock' your PC? (if that means nothing to you, never mind!).

Good news is that a mobo doesn't cost the earth to replace, and you could probably salvage most of your kit in your current system. Feel free to PM me for more info...

Phil

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Karlosio said:
Hi guys. ne1 good in pc tech coz i need some advice...

I was working away on the pc and my mouse and keyboard just stopped responding. the cursor just stuck and i couldn't press a damn thing on the keyboard, so i pressed the reset button on the box and when i did that, it powered up but did not turn the monitor on. So, i left it for a while, went back to it, turned it back on, woo...it works.. well, so i thought, after five minutes it was doing it again. so i left it again.

!!

This will prolly to get moved to "help" section buddy.....

but i have had that happen and my hardrive was goosed....wouldnt even format....so i ended up having to buy another brand new 1...... :thumbsup:

Super Freak

Jul 26, 2004
Liverpool
have you been taking dugs,ya dont format ya disc un less no other option available.

and that means asking a question like this BEFROE yo format disc. & shit

to late to help now is it still uderder warenty ?

Super Freak

Jul 26, 2004
Liverpool
soz to say it but sounds like u bios is fuck and that take pure pure egg heads to sort out its cheaper to my a new pc and lanrn the leason to come and shout for help first before ya format ya hd. sory if that sounds hash m8 just trying to be honest.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Super Freak said:
have you been taking dugs

Have you been taking drugs?!

Super Freak said:
soz to say it but sounds like u bios is fuck and that take pure pure egg heads to sort out its cheaper to my a new pc and lanrn the leason to come and shout for help first before ya format ya hd.

:rofl:

:crazy:

It could be that both your keyboard and mouse are in fact buggered?

Try swapping them and trying other keyboard/mice combo's and see if that fixes it, otherwise, it could be a myriad of other things, some cheap and easy to fix, some costly and a bugger...

Super Freak

Jul 26, 2004
Liverpool
ommiison

its proby goona cost ya min of £300 (pc world) to get new hard drive on and to get the sofware re-build but the pc will never be same agin take my word for this even if ya get it recoverdd itll only be half the pc it once was and itll be away for repairs for good 3 weeks at least.

Karlosio

Super Freak said:
have you been taking dugs,ya dont format ya disc un less no other option available.

and that means asking a question like this BEFROE yo format disc. & shit

to late to help now is it still uderder warenty ?

There was no option superfreak. On boot-up it said that it could not read from IDE-0 and would not boot up windows at all. I reformatted the partition before I put XP Pro back on it and it worked for a few days. Until tonight, when it fucked up AGAIN. When I loaded XP Back on it, on boot-up the num-lock key would come on and go off once the xp logo loading screen disappeared? :confused: which is strange because it is turned on in the bios. I have tried putting a different mouse and keyboard in it, changed the power cables around ( :confused: , you never know, lol) but none of them worked. When I switch it on there is power going to it, I can use it for half an hour or so, then it doesn't respond, so I press reset on the box and it somehow powers down, like going on standby mode and the monitor then won't come on. I cant even turn it off anymore even by holding the power button in for 10 seconds or so. All i can do is flick the switch at the back to turn it off. Could it be my hard drive thats at fault maybe? I don't really wanna get rid as I wouldn't be able to sell it on if its knackered. Its only a couple of years old too. Im not sure if its still under warranty or not. Its not overclocked either. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad: :cry:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Super Freak said:

Na, it's always a good laugh doing a format. Bit of a thrill for a Friday night in, as you press 'y' and then shit yourself thinking "I hope I've got all them drivers I need to get going again."

Hours of fun! :rofl:

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Lol I like some of the replys so far, especially the "chuck the PC away its easier" one.
Ok if it was my computer I would firstly change the IDE cable for a new one, then if that doesnt help check that the CPU heatsink is properlly seated & the fan is clean & working (if it works for 30 mins could be an overheating problem) another thing I would think it could be is a power problem, if you can try a new PSU in your case then do so, also get the memory tester I link to below & use it to run a full test (any errors at all then replace the memory).
http://www.memtest86.com/#download1
If that dont help then find a friend who knows there stuff & have them look at it as these problems are a lot easier to solve if you have acsess to the computer.