Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Pluginz1x

Apr 28, 2024
Hello all :)

Just thought i'd throw some of my experience your way guys. It works well for me.

The best way ive found to get a perfect conversion, is to use a Creative Sound Card, with the line in and the Creative recorder software. If you've got the card, the software is free. It either comes on the CD or DVD, or download it from their website.

For me, i prefer to leave the hiss on the tape. Get the azimuth in the right position for the type of recording you have, and i can gain anything from 5-10 +db treble, just from aligning the tape without the need of adjusting the EQ .

These are the 2 sound cards i use.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS if you only have a PCI slot on your motherboard. No optical on this card.
Sound Blaster Audigy RX if you only have a PCI-E slot on your motherboard. Has optical.

3.5mm jack 'speaker out' is both analogue and digital on both sound cards.

The Audigy 2 ZS works well on x64 Windows. But you have to use the installation DVD from the Audigy RX, or the Audigy RX drivers from the Creative website. Then it all works well ! :)

With the Audigy RX, you can even do a cassette to 'Line in' on the sound card, then optical out to a Minidisc recorder.
I find you get a better recorded db range on the bass and treble with the recording onto minidisc ! It must be a Sony thing auto adjusting the recording level.

Once ripped, then play the Minidisc with a flat EQ, back into the line in of the sound card and record again, but straight onto the hard drive with the recorder software. It might seem like abit of faffing around. I dont mind doing this.

You wont find a cheaper way to do it. Audigy 2 ZS is well cheap. Audigy RX not as good but still acceptable.
Far better than Audacity.

Im abit late to the party, but hope this might help some folks if theyre new to it.

Peace out :)