• either don't make a diff

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • another make

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
For me, 1210's - pref MK5G's

A mate had a pair of 1200's back in 1991 and had to keep swapping them as the power off buttons kept coming off them! not sure if this is a known issue with the 1200's but he swapped to 1210's after that...

I've not played on 1200's since the early 90's but found them to be fine.

Pity me for I have lowly Gemini PT2000's :$

My ideal decks would be these...

BMR126719.jpg

bling bling ! :thumbsup:

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
Mike said:
I thought they were exactly the same apart from the colour :confused:

have had this disscussion till im blue in the face , butmost dont agree . . lol

as ive said before in the past 5 years ive found that the 1200 is a much nicer deck to play on ( seem a lot smoother and sturdier and ya can be heavy handed and they just dont budge ) . . . ive played on both so many times ive lost count now , and i truly belive that there IS a diff . . i do not say one is better than the other before anyone thinks that is what im sayin . . just there is a slight difference . . . :)

ive even took it to the extreme of linkin up one black and one silver on the same mixer and playin on them both ( call me sad ) . lol

every body says they are EXACTLY THE SAME IN EVERY DETAIL . . when this is not the case . . . .

a 1200 deck . . . weighs > 12.5 kg

a 1210 deck . . . weighs > 11 kg

maybe this has something to do with it . . . .

you could do a poll all day long and the outcome will always be the 1210 as its the most common used and not many ppl will get to play both sets on a regular basis to come to the conclusion i have . . :)

stuck in Aahz

Mar 28, 2004
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
I have one of each, and there is one difference (besides color). The 1210 has a small switch underneath the platter that allows me to go from 110/115 volts to 220/230 volts. The 1200 does not have this switch. Both decks are the same age. Both were bought in 1995. They are both american spec decks.

Besides that, they both play identical to each other. I have nearly 10 years experience playing on both decks at the same time and I can say with confidence that if I were blindfolded, I would not be able to tell which one I was using.

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
stuck in Aahz said:
I have one of each, and there is one difference (besides color). The 1210 has a small switch underneath the platter that allows me to go from 110/115 volts to 220/230 volts. The 1200 does not have this switch. Both decks are the same age. Both were bought in 1995. They are both american spec decks.

That might explain the weight difference then, there's probably an extra mains transformer in the 1210 to allow it to work on both mains voltages or something like that. Can't see that this would make a difference to the performance of the deck though :S

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
Id like to bet that i can tell the difference between the two if ya blindfolded me . . . . lol ;) ( and im being serious , ;) lol )

it not that i have a preference on which i want to play on , as in a club ill play whatever they have there like with no complaints, as ste said as long as they do the job it dont matter , but for personal choice at home etc , ill always go for the 1200 . . .

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
Mike said:
That might explain the weight difference then, there's probably an extra mains transformer in the 1210 to allow it to work on both mains voltages or something like that. Can't see that this would make a difference to the performance of the deck though :S

then wouldnt that make the 1210 a heavy deck than the 1200 ???

yet the 1200 is heavier . . be nice if somecould explain why this is . . .??? cos 1.5kg is a bit of weight diff is is not ??

p.s top thread / poll this one . . :)

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
na me either fella . . . ????

i know its a common fact there is no diff technically between the two . . . .

just wanna know why the 1200 is heavier than the 1210 , surely all that weight diff cant be down to the coating / paint or what ever it is they use on it . . . could be tho , which is why it may seem ( to me anyway ) to be a more sturdier deck overall . . ???? or i could just be talkin utter bollocks . lol lol lol . . . either way i stick by my guns and say the 1200 is nicer to play on ( but NOT better )

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
Me i actually prefer the 1200MK2
Dont know why just feel more at home on em???

Just to reafirm the only difference between a 1200MK2 and a 1210MK2 was a multi-tap transformer,a different power supply board, complete with a 117/220 switch.The also if im not wrong (possible lol) the '10' and the '00' in 1210 1200 are the model numbers for which area they were originally destined i.e. 10 for the US, 00 for world. Again this is due to the voltage switching.The 1210 has the 117/220 voltage switch for the US voltage the 1200 hasnt.

The original 1200 from the mid seventies is very different in the motor and chassis etc, so if that is what you are using as a reference as wieght then it will be way different :)

Original 1200
technics_sl1200.jpg

Eddy Osborne

Sep 4, 2002
Ive voted not fussed. As long as there technics im happy as a pig in shite :D I love em all, black and silver :D

I own 1210's tho, yummy

Last edited:

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
Heres an angle to chuck in - is it confidence?

When ya see a 1200 do ya reckon it gives ya mnore confidence to chuck it in? just a thought

Personally - when i had a go on yours I was mixin and i thought tunes were droppin in much easier than normal - I was thinkin - ang on how can that be in - it was as if your decks were auto mixing - mad as it sounds dunno if it was the sound system the decks or coz i was fucked lol :D

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
dannster said:

When ya see a 1200 do ya reckon it gives ya mnore confidence to chuck it in? just a thought

Personally - when i had a go on yours I was mixin and i thought tunes were droppin in much easier than normal - I was thinkin - ang on how can that be in - it was as if your decks were auto mixing - mad as it sounds dunno if it was the sound system the decks or coz i was fucked lol :D

thats exactly what i mean fella !!! my decks just seem to do it for ya !! lol they must have a mind of there own !! lol tis just when ya drop a tune on mine the deck takes over and does the work for ya !! lol sounds strange that i know . . lol ??? lol

RetroAndy

Apr 4, 2002
wakefield
dannster said:

Dannster i have noticed that too. Bens seem well easier to mix on than mine. I was sure it was the decks but after thinking about it i have come to the conclusion it was either the fact that the majority of the time i am pissed or :fekked: lol

The pitch is miles different though, Seems well tighter too. Also yours might have slight probs that you dont know about and bens could be spot on. I think that helped me realise that my pitch was out on mine to be honest.

Gonna vote for either because as Eddie said as long as there Technics i am happy.

Andy

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
I reckon you should give your decks a set at Goodtimes - I reckon they would pull off a cracker! :D they can mix better than me!!! Im thinkin maybe i thought they was much better to mix then normal coz mine have a mind of their own and im forever fighting with the vinyl to keep it in (Typical Scenario: "buzzzzin its in" - drop the tune then it speeds up then it slows down Arrrggh!) rubbin and kickin it all over the place - but I reckon when ya get on a deck that actually works proper IE yours then it's all gravy lol.

Either that or your decks have got mystical powers - i didnt touch either pitch slider for about 10 minutes lol - either a whacky co-incidence or your decks are the future! :)